 CAD / LDraw Files / Models / 591
Re: Datsville Construcrtions Steam Roller)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 00:27:39 GMT

Bram Lambrecht wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:
Funny you should mention that, I was at Conan's on Thursday and I
built a mine truck cab and chassis but didn't finish the dump body.

The dump body was the first thing I built :)

A good dump body is hard, it has a lot of non right angles to it. So I
skipped it. I only had 2 hours to bang this model out.

Where'd you fit the engine?  My steering mechanism and chassis are in the
way...  I am fitting in pneumatics to tilt the dump body though.

My frame is wider than yours, it is 8 studs wide in front and 6 in back
(just so I could fit a differential in... without a differential, even a
non driveshaft connected one, the truck will not steer very well, the
tires skitter). I overlapped the technic beams side to side, that's why
it's wider in front.

I also did not add a steering rack and wheel, just the control arms and
the tierod links to keep the wheels turned the same angle.

So I have more room. The engine is slung between the frame rails and has
a cutout in the "oil pan" to clear the steering linkage but most of the
linkage is behind the back of the engine (which is 10 studs long)

5571 tires IMHO have a tread pattern that is a bit too "on road" for a
mine truck. These tires have a nice knobby pattern.

Well, the 5571 tires are the biggest ones I have.  On the mine truck,
they don't look as on-road as on the 5571 :)

Yes, agreed that they would not. However the tires I chose to use are
actually a bit SMALLER than 5571s which were a bit big. The large tread
pattern screams offroad to me.

.general added and followups set there, we have veered away from
datsville! :-)

lugnet.