 General / 6884
Re: new store
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 07:25:44 GMT

Jerry Tucker wrote in message ...
A bit simplistic, in my case anyway.  Let's suppose that discounts range • more
like 38% to 30% (the lesser is on the newest stuff and things like Star • Wars
where presumably they are paying Lucas some sort of fee).  Add in about 5%
shipping charge and the the discounts are more like 33% to 25%.  Further • throw
in about another 5% in fees and discounts for credit card sales and it • becomes
more like 28% to 20% off retail (the big boys of course get a better deal • but
it seems like Amazon, etoys and ToyRus are not giving any discount).

Is anyone consistantly giving more than 10% off?

   I don't think any stores have a continuous markdown of 20%, but thats not
what he is getting at (I think).  Wal-mart seems to always be a good 10-15%
below retail (when they have the particular set the buyer wants).  Also, a
patient Lego buyer can wait a week or two (if that) and find the wanted set
on sale for 20% off in one of the many retail stores that compete to sell
Lego.  If your price was always 20% off, they wouldn't bother to wait for a
sale, and would be more likely to buy from you as soon as they made the
decision to buy a certain set.  OTOH, if you procure the '00 sets before or
at the same time as TRU and Target (I don't know if thats even possible), I
think you could do very well with only a 10% discount, but that would be
temporary of course.

With a stockpile of used, I would make up sets and set prices for • individual
pieces, like $X per for yellow 2x4 blocks, or $Y per for a certain figures
etc.

  Good idea.  Good luck.
Jerry

--
   Have fun!
   John
In lugnet.general, John Neal writes:
Sounds like a great idea, Jerry.  It would be even nicer if you cut to • 20%,
which would match any sale anywhere (excluding clearance of course).  It • would
give a strong incentive for retail buyers to simply come to you first • without
having to wait to find a particular item on sale.  Ten percent justs • sounds a
little thin.

As for buying LEGO, that might get tricky.  I could see if you had locals • walk
in and sell you their stuff, but buying on the net and reselling might be • a
headache.  There are a lot of people selling their stuff on line now. • Since
you
are getting sets at 40% off (I assume), what might be even more lucerative • would
be to start up some sort of bulk operation for parts.  *That* would be
exciting!  You could prolly hire one full time person to run the operation • and
still make a nice little profit AND provide a valuable service to • AFOLers:-)

IAE, Good Luck in your LEGO endeavor!

-John

Jerry Tucker wrote:

We are in the process of adding Lego to our product line for both • instore
and
internet mail order.  Our intent is offer 10% off regular retail • pricing.
We
will both buy and sell Lego products, offering cash or credit for • purchases.
Our display will include graphics where available.  We will ship world • wide.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on this.  It is not an ad. • My
desire is to have a good site that is useful to the Lego
collecting/using community and I would really appreciate any thoughts • and
advice from those of you who actively use and care about Lego products.

Jerry