 General / 51049
Re: Legowiki
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:26:58 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:
OK, I have a question.... what will a Legowiki provide us that we don't already
have in Lugnet, Peeron, Bricklink and Brickshelf?  I am not sure that we need
another reference guide.
Hi, Gary,

Two answers for this:

1. What is a Wiki?

A Wiki is a kind of "web in a box". The people who provide content can
easily create and edit pages with information, and can equally edit
links between these. Think of it as an encyclopedia, except that it is
hyperlinked and that nearly every article can be edited by anyone.

This may sound strange, but it actually works. There are some (social)
issues with such a community effort (like vandalizing, or "edit wars"),
but they usually pose no real problem, as they can be handled by locking
users or addresses out of the system and similar means.

This "all can edit (almost) everything" approach helps with correction
of mistakes, with expansion of articles, spelling fixes, linking
improvement, etc. Additionally, each version of each article remains in
the database for reference, so if someone made a mistake or vandalized a
page, the original content is not lost, and can easily be retored.

2. How can it be of use for us?

A Wiki will not replace discussion sites like LUGNET, nor will it
replace structured reference sites like Peeron. On the contrary - using
the structured information like set and piece references by pointing to
external sources will be an important part of the setting. Instead, the
strong point of a Wiki is the organisation of unstructured information.

For example: We have a lot of FAQs concerning LEGO on the net: several
generic FAQs, Minifig FAQs, Lego Starwars FAQ, Lego Castle FAQ, R.T.L.
FAQ, Bying LEGO FAQ, etc, etc, etc. Each one has an author or group of
authors, and some are still maintained, some may be not. Now imagine a
central place where you can just enter a search term, and get an answer
regardless of the area of expertise.

Another example: I found several places on the net regarding cleaning of
LEGO parts. Some places have experiences with cleaning plain bricks.
Another has information on cleaning the print off the bricks, others
have tidbits about cleaning sails, or pneumatic parts. Now a Wiki could
collect all these pieces of information in one place, and still, every
original author, or anyone who just had a new experience on how to clean
bricks with a new cleaner could just add his/her experience.

Other areas could be annotations to sets and themes, like "What is a
Legend", listing links to the original and the legend set in outside
references, or the list of different castle or space subthemes with
general information attached to it.

Or maybe information on special pieces, or topics like mold changes, or
whatever.

Think of all the unstructured information out there (Like your excellent
articles on LUGNET on historic sets and parts!), with very easy
crosslink capabilities, and a good search facility. All in one place.

I hope this text helps you and others to grasp the wast opportunity a
Wiki would give us.

Yours, Christian Treczoks