 General / 51031
Re: Legowiki
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 01:47:22 GMT

Good idea.

Thank you. I had hoped for more people to reply, but lugnet.general doesn't seem
to be as populated as I had expected. Know of any other lego forums where I
could post this idea to gauge feedback?

One problem will be: As a Wiki is open for editing by everone, someone
might insert inapropriate input of the kind the LEGO company does not
want to be connnected to. So the use of the trademark "LEGO" in the
title will propably summon a wave of danish lawyers...

What kind of content would invoke the wrath of the LEGO Company? Can you think
of any ways that I can protect against issues like that? If I name the site
LGEOWiki, will I be safe? Will I be liable for such content, even if I didn't
create it? (Doesn't Common Carrier status protect against that?)

One important point: Make it multilingual, please!

I hadn't thought of that, but I should have. I will create the framework to
allow it to be multilingual. The hard part is finding translators who like
Legos.

So this will be detailed beyond what already exists in the WikiPedia?  A full
history of our hobby, and the current state of it?  Or just information on
building techniques and such?  What other kind of stuff would you want to
include in it?  It sounds kind of like an archived form of Lugnet.

My aim for it is to be a collection of good ideas from Lugnet, how masters build
their stuff, a place for people to see a history of Lego, trivia, and other
information related to the hobby. Think of it as Wikipedia - except that it only
focuses on Legos. There is a lot of good information in the Lugnet archives and
on the Internet, but it is widely spread. My only aim it to make it easy for
people to see that information in one place and to be able to put up their own.

Suppose I wanted to know how I could build a Lego Tower. Say somebody tells me
to use the SNOT technique. I could hunt thru Lugnet archives and/or google right
now. But I would like a place where people can have an article about SNOT, a set
of links, and some advice. Skilled people could edit it, debate about it, etc.
It would be a sort of assistant tool to the Lugnet forums, a place to find
fairly stable data.

I have registered the domain name http://legowiki.zapto.org for the time being.
If we can find a better address and/or name, we will use it.

If anyone has any suggestions about this project, please fire away. I have
hesitated to launch the site so far, since I am unsure of interest and the
presence of potential contributors. I think that an easy to use source for a
SuperFAQ, some guides, tips from experts, and other interesting information
would help the AFOL crowd, but I don't know whether something like this is
needed. Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks,
Venkatesh Srinivas
me@endeavour.zapto.org