 General / 51045
Re: Legowiki
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 04:57:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
In lugnet.general, Venkatesh Srinivas wrote:
I am thinking of starting LegoWiki, to be about Lego the company, Lego the
brick, and Lego the community.

A Wiki is a collaboratively created and edited site, where the content is
released under a free license, such as the GNU Free Document License or one of
the Creative Commons Licenses.

The purpose of this site would be to provide a place for new and veteran fans of
Lego to share information, ideas, links, methodologies, or any  information. It
would serve as a sort of "electronic warehouse" of Lego knowledge.

Technically speaking, no problem. I have experience running and maintaining
MediaWiki (The software behind Wikipedia) and many other wikis. I have a host to
put it on and a few people able to server as site maintainers.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions, or critiques on this? Would any you be willing
to create content for the site or be interested in seeing one created?

Thanks,
Venkatesh Srinivas
me@endeavour.zapto.org

OK, I have a question.... what will a Legowiki provide us that we don't already
have in Lugnet, Peeron, Bricklink and Brickshelf?

Encyclopedic reference. No other site is like that. FAQs can come close if
you're lucky but they don't have the cross linking, usually, as they are too
much for one person to maintain.

I am not sure that we need
another reference guide.  Of course I am speaking with bias here cuz I'm coming
out with a Lego set/part history CD.  But since I am not familiar with the
concept of a "Wiki", perhaps I am ignorant about what its value would be to the
Lego community.

If you don't know what a Wiki is, you may not be well suited to comment on
whether it would be a good idea or not. May I suggest that you take a really
good hard look at Wikipedia (1) that is, spend some time actually reading the
articles, seeing how they relate to each other, and look at the discussion
behind the articles and see how the multiple authors work together to jointly
produce articles that are better than any one person could make.

Would a LEGO wiki work? DUnno but it would be an interesting experiment. Since
it would be reference resource, it could easily be something that ties the
community sites back together... something that implements parts of the LUGNET
Plan that never got implemented and probably never will be, at LUGNET.

1 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page is a good start... try taking a
random article and see where the links lead you. Or start here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego and remember that all that content came from
the small subset of fans that have already figured out what a Wiki is and are
willing to edit content in.