 General / 50618
Columns was Re: If you could wish for any single Lego element, what would it be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 02:24:16 GMT

On the topic of fluted columns, I’m sure Lego would make it Juniorized, but I would rather have a top and a bottom piece with drums 2 bricks high. That way you could make your own base or capital.

The white Technic pin joiners can be wrapped around an axle to make a decent thin column. Don’t know if that’s what Bill had there.

Another way to make fluted columns is to pile up a whole lot of gears. You can also wrap 1x10 plates (studs in) around a 6-sided flower. Several people use 1x2 grill bricks against a wall to suggest a recessed column. You can make a big 8-fluted column with 1x1 rounds. Finally, there are those 2x2 square columns from Scala which Rich Schamus used in the Colossus.

Personally, I am just fine with square 2x2 bricks for columns. Anything else costs so much (I only have plenty because I part out sets). I get that feeling like when I see models at TRU: not inspiration, just frustration.

See: http://www.ancient-theme.com/2001/index.html

Troy building: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/2032?r=246746960

Casper van Nimwegen, Portunus Temple: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=34932