 General / 50595
Re: If you could wish for any single Lego element, what would it be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:49:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
   Things are a little slow (besides the survey’s), so I thought I would start a new thread.

OK, say TLG came up to you and said that they would make one single mold of any part that you wanted. But only one part, and only in one color. And it would be sold to the public as well. What would that part be?

Originally I thought about a window (cuz we all know that there are currently some many varieties to choose from), but then I thought about something that would be juniorized to the max (otherwise it would have to be 3 parts). Folks have seen the 2x2x11 column bricks, produced for a few years. With that part as an inspiration, I would love to see a WHITE 2x2x11 Corinthian column. It would have a classic Greek base, a “fluted” (with ridges) column, and a Corinthian top (the fancy one with all the Acanthus leaves). With a bunch of those (heavily juniorized) columns, with low slope bricks (for the roof), and plenty of white tiles for the floor and all the steps, one could make an awesome Greco-Roman temple similar to the Parthenon, or the even larger (but now destroyed) Temple of Ephesus (of the 7 Wonders of the World), or the Temple at Nimes in southern France.

This one piece could spawn a whole new “System” of Lego building, namely Classic Greek and Roman Architecture. (Of course a “fluted” Ionic column and a “non-fluted” Doric column would be even more spectacular.)

For those who haven’t seen it, Erik Wilson’s Acropolis Contest of Greek and Roman buildings about 7 years ago is great sourse of what “could be”, if TLG ever decided to launch a theme in Classical Antiquity. Check out the website (of course yours truly had an entry :-).

http://itsa.ucsf.edu/~erikred/brick/classic/ancient.html

The amazing thing about these entries is that they were made before we ever had the benefit of buying from Bricklink.

What would be your Lego part wish?

Gary Istok

The fluted column idea would be one I would definitely go for, just make it in old light gray. 2x2x11 seems like a bit too much in height, so mine would just be 2x2x2.

Not too long ago Bill Vollbrecht came up with a column design that I think comes close to what your after but I’m not quite sure what he used.

Adr.