 General / 47027
Re: Do you save boxes and catalogs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:11:56 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brian Kendig wrote:
Just curious - do you save the boxes from your Lego sets, and/or the catalogs,
or do you only keep the instructions?

I'm cleaning up my Lego collection a little bit today, and I realize that I have
(just about?) all of the mail-order catalogs from the past ten years, as well as
the boxes to all of my sets from at least that long if not longer.  (I cut the
glue on the boxes and folded them flat.)  I'm starting to think about the space
this is taking up, and wondering whether anyone puts any value in boxes and
catalogs, or if y'all just pitch 'em.

I save my boxes.  Rather than just flattening them, though, I actually cut them
into six panels (top, bottom, and all four sides).  I think this makes them take
up even less space and easier to sort into like-size panels.

I like saving the boxes because I think some of them have some neat box art.
There are often alternate models pictured, or an unusual angle shot of the set.
Some box art is better than others.

I always thought it would be neat if a database like the LUGNET Guide or
Brickset started using the six box panel scans as the images for sets instead of
catalog or instruction scans.  I guess this would take a big scanner to be
practical.  I have thought about trying it with my collection and stitching
images together, but it seems like a lot of work for something of probably less
than professional quality.

I usually save two copies of each catalog I have too.  Since this is "official"
material, I think catalog images are ok to use in MOCs.  I made some "movie
posters" out of catalog cutouts a long time ago:

http://brickenplate.topcities.com/mt2.html
http://brickenplate.topcities.com/mt15.html

I think other uses in MOCs could be for billboards and other areas where you
might want some detailed art in a small space.  Probably good not to overuse
this technique, though.

I love looking through older catalogs too.  I like the simpler style of the
1970s catalogs and there is a lot to drool over in the 1980s cats.

I think if organized well, boxes and catalogs don't really take up a lot of
space.  Armed with a big box, two hanging file containers and four large ring
binders, I've managed to sort my collection of paper material pretty well.

My vote is to keep 'em.

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@myrealbox.com