 General / 47725
Re: Do you save boxes and catalogs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 22:51:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brian Kendig wrote:
Just curious - do you save the boxes from your Lego sets, and/or the catalogs,
or do you only keep the instructions?

I'm cleaning up my Lego collection a little bit today, and I realize that I have
(just about?) all of the mail-order catalogs from the past ten years, as well as
the boxes to all of my sets from at least that long if not longer.  (I cut the
glue on the boxes and folded them flat.)  I'm starting to think about the space
this is taking up, and wondering whether anyone puts any value in boxes and
catalogs, or if y'all just pitch 'em.

I recycle boxes from new sets.  If I buy an old set with its box, I make a
half-hearted effort to sell the box on ebay or to a member of my LUG.  If that
doesn't pan out, I recycle it too.  The only boxes I have kept are the plastic
tubs from the 3033 set.  I have a few buckets as well that I haven't decided
what to do with, though.

I keep all the stuff that came in the box (well, not the little baggies - I bet
some people keep those too??).  All the catalogs and such go into a box with the
instructions (and S@H catalogs, and any other paper I get from LEGO).  I keep
meaning to sort through it all, eliminate (sell or recycle as appropriate)
duplicates, and put it into some kind of binder of plastic sheet protectors or
something, but never have gotten around to that.

One thing you don't mention is sticker sheets.  Even when I was a kid I loathed
putting stickers on LEGO models.  I think I did it once and the sticker left a
bad residue when I tried to take it off, and never did it again.  So I still
have sticker sheets from the 1980s to the present, mixed in with all the
catalogs and instruction booklets.  I would sell them but I haven't taken the
time to dig them out.  There are probably some people would pay good money for.

--Bill.