 General / 47768
Re: Do you save boxes and catalogs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 03:31:22 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brian Kendig wrote:
Just curious - do you save the boxes from your Lego sets, and/or the catalogs,
or do you only keep the instructions?

I save boxes from the Star Wars sets.  My justification was that I was buying
these as a colelction.  I buy every set, and I keep all the boxes, and
instructions.  I also keep all my SW Lego separate from my other Lego.  Of
course, I do have a tub of mixed lego form a ton of sets--but its all from SW
sets.  Yea, I'm insane.

I save some boxes from other sets, if I think they are particularly cool or
collectable.  I also save 1 of each unique catalog that comes with a set.  Of
course that doesn't happen anymore.  I have a small collection of cool S@H
catalogs--mostly for the SW marketing materials.  Again, if it feels cool or
collectable, I save it.

The weirdest thing that I save is the Bionicle comic books.  I have every single
one so far.  I enjoy them a little bit, but I am really not into comic books.  I
am also not that interested in Bionicle.  I save them because I figure in 20
years they might really be worth something as a collection.  I also save the
Mania magazine that they came with, thoa I really should pair those back to just
the ones with cool SW things in them.

I'm cleaning up my Lego collection a little bit today, and I realize that I have
(just about?) all of the mail-order catalogs from the past ten years, as well as
the boxes to all of my sets from at least that long if not longer.  (I cut the
glue on the boxes and folded them flat.)  I'm starting to think about the space
this is taking up, and wondering whether anyone puts any value in boxes and
catalogs, or if y'all just pitch 'em.

If you have any Lego mania magazines from 1999-2000 with Star Wars themed
content in them, I would be interested in them--if you were just planning to
pitch them.  :)

-Alfred