 General / 47766
Re: Do you save boxes and catalogs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 01:33:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brian Kendig wrote:
Just curious - do you save the boxes from your Lego sets, and/or the catalogs,
or do you only keep the instructions?

I'm cleaning up my Lego collection a little bit today, and I realize that I have
(just about?) all of the mail-order catalogs from the past ten years, as well as
the boxes to all of my sets from at least that long if not longer.  (I cut the
glue on the boxes and folded them flat.)  I'm starting to think about the space
this is taking up, and wondering whether anyone puts any value in boxes and
catalogs, or if y'all just pitch 'em.

I mostly buy for parts, so the boxes of 97 or so percent get thrown in the blue
recycle bin for Wednesday pick-up.  The other 3 % (less or more, not sure) I
keep for personal purposes.  That may be in the category of liking the front box
artwork/set photo for a private collection.  If I do save a box, there are two
ways, cut out front, or save the whole thing (intact usually with the newer
ones) because I particularly liked the whole experience surrounding the set.
The Exporien Starship, or King's Mountain Fortress would be an example.  The Cut
group gets sandwiched into an oversized cardboard folder for Deep-Storage, while
the whole boxes go on top of my sorting shelves for display.

As far as paper inside the box, I save it, also in two categories.  One group is
for instructions, the other is for everything else which will meet the shredder
and become packing material.  The stuff I save is then again sub-divided, one of
each set instruction and yearly product catalog are held in file folders for
review or use.  The others are in a couple of boxes I may sell off at some time
to help others get instructions they might be missing.

Shop at Home catalogs get saved for misty-eyed remembrance, but nothing beats
the collection of pre-1997 catalogs for that honor.

-Aaron-

Official Shredder of Colorful Paper Products, OEE