 General / 47031
Re: Do you save boxes and catalogs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:58:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brian Kendig wrote:
Just curious - do you save the boxes from your Lego sets, and/or the catalogs,
or do you only keep the instructions?

I'm cleaning up my Lego collection a little bit today, and I realize that I have
(just about?) all of the mail-order catalogs from the past ten years, as well as
the boxes to all of my sets from at least that long if not longer.  (I cut the
glue on the boxes and folded them flat.)  I'm starting to think about the space
this is taking up, and wondering whether anyone puts any value in boxes and
catalogs, or if y'all just pitch 'em.

I keep one complete box from each type of set, usually glue broken and
flattened.  If I buy more than one small set, I take off the barcode (with item
number) and discard the rest of the box.  Keeping the barcodes is just in case
there is ever an offer of free end-of-line sets if you send in enough barcodes,
like an offer there was in the UK in the early 90s.  I'm careful what I buy, but
any free sets are welcome!

I keep the tray boxes from large sets, such as the Backhoe Loader.  These boxes
are useful for sorting pieces, especially because they keep the dust off
semi-sorted lots before I put them away in more permanent storage.  It's great
to have several of the same set, since the boxes are similar and stack well.  I
fold up the thin lid edges so that the lid no longer overlaps the side of the
box.

I keep all the instructions, though I'm thinking of keeping one example from
each type of set in my main sorting system and putting the others in a paper
ream box, due to the finite capacity of box files.  Thanks to whoever posted
that idea the other week.

Mark