 General / 47023
Re: Do you save boxes and catalogs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 07:37:09 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brian Kendig wrote:
Just curious - do you save the boxes from your Lego sets, and/or the catalogs,
or do you only keep the instructions?

I'm cleaning up my Lego collection a little bit today, and I realize that I have
(just about?) all of the mail-order catalogs from the past ten years, as well as
the boxes to all of my sets from at least that long if not longer.  (I cut the
glue on the boxes and folded them flat.)  I'm starting to think about the space
this is taking up, and wondering whether anyone puts any value in boxes and
catalogs, or if y'all just pitch 'em.

For the past 25 years I have kept all my Lego boxes with the thinking that they
make my collection complete--I have all the pieces, instructions, and the boxes.
But being that I never intend to sell my personal collection of Lego (and if I
did I would not sell as sets) there is little point to keeping the boxes any
longer.  Even flattened, they take up space.  And, like you mention, the larger
ones are useful for storage.

In fact, my entire storage system uses the larger flip-top boxes that Lego sets
are sold in.  Over 120 boxes so far filled with precisely sorted Lego.  But as
my collection grows and the boxes age and become worn, I am finding that this
won't work much longer.

I have slowly and cautiously begun the process of discarding some boxes.  Others
I am keeping to sell someday--there are other nuts like us that want Lego set
boxes and people do buy them.

Catalogs and other Lego literature are good as quantity = 1.  You can discard
the duplicates or offer to sell them or give them away.
Personally, I prize my collection of US Shop At Home catlogs and peruse them
from time to time.

__Kevin Salm__
LUCNY