 General / 45026
Re: Have *YOU* contacted LEGO customer service re: the gray color change?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:41:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, Walter Walters wrote:
Hello all,

Have *YOU* contacted LEGO customer service regarding the gray color change?
(snip)

Here's the letter I just wrote...thanks Walter for urging people onward!

-----
To whom it may concern:

This is one of hopefully many letters of concern over the new color change
taking effect for the new 2004 product lines.

Please do not render the "classic" old light and dark grey shades obsolete.
Introducing new colors is one thing, but replacing old ones is ludicrous and
unnecessary.

Long-time builders and collectors love your colors just the way they are, and
many of them have gotten too deeply invested (in every way) into the hobby to
change their building color palette.  It's unfair to tell them they can no
longer build in certain colors, when so much time and investment has already
come to pass.  There are many people in the community upset over this, making
comments online in varying degrees of rashness, from general displeasure to
emphatic vows to boycott.

I'm a freelance illustrator, and from a purely artistic standpoint, the new
colors look too much like rival company blocks (Mega-Blocks in particular).
There is a level of cheapness about them.  They lack the warmth of your original
colors.

I believe wholeheartedly that you should never ask mainstream focus groups about
aesthetic qualities.  Ask experienced artists and painters (or, if you have, a
wider, more diverse range), and most especially people familiar with your
product, before holding two grey bricks in front of a five-year-old and asking
them to point to one.  Nobody likes an empirically ugly product, but you've
clearly gotten it wrong in regards to whose opinion you can trust.

The people of taste have spoken.  I do not speak for them.  I'm just one of
them.  And again, this is just one letter of many.  I hope they add up.
-----

Thanks to John Gerlach for posting his form letter reply from LEGO for HIS
letter, I can now check to see if they send me the same exact one...  :-\

--Dave