 General / 45012
Re: Have *YOU* contacted LEGO customer service re: the gray color change?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:14:04 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jordan Bradford wrote:

Along the same lines, how about someone writes a polite complaint letter and
posts it on LUGNET? Then everyone could copy it, print it, sign it, and mail
it. Would LEGO's receiving hundreds of identical letters be as influential as
LEGO's receiving hundreds of different letters about the same subject? I'm
just thinking that some people simply can't write good letters, so this would
make things easier. Also, such a letter could easily be converted into a
press release or a letter to the editor of your local paper. I'll volunteer,
but I need to know all the facts. It won't do to send a letter complaining
about something that's erroneous to begin with.

   To be honest with you, that's not the most effective
   tactic.  In the era of high-speed reprographics and
   internet petitions, identical letters (and sometimes
   any machine-produced document) are given a lower priority
   in terms of their importance as a representation of
   popular opinion.  For example, and just using wholly
   fictitious numbers, if a single letter represents 10,000
   (say) people who feel the same way and do not write,
   an easily-reproduced one loses representational clout
   with each iteration, representing many fewer because
   the effort required is technically less.  I may not be
   making it as clear as I could, but hopefully the idea
   is getting across.

   The very best thing a writer could do is take Jordan's
   "talking points" (which are very good) and then write--
   *ideally by hand*--a letter to send.  As many friends
   and colleagues who have worked in government or have
   interned for members of Congress have told me, hand-
   written letters get a *lot* more attention because they
   are almost guaranteed to be unique and a genuine expres-
   sion of the writer's concern.  Maybe someone who has to
   open consumer/constitutent mail in their job can chime
   in on this one, but that observation has been consistent
   among everyone I've known in government and industry.

   So yeah, a template isn't a bad idea, but following it
   too closely is.  Talking points, like Jordan's, are a
   better guide--but evidence that it is your own effort
   is invaluable towards raising the perceived value of
   your letter.

   all best

   LFB