 General / 45025
Re: New x-pod sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:52:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Huw Millington wrote:
The new Argos [1] catalogue came out today in the UK, and in it are the new
x-pod Designer sets, which they had in stock, seemingly several months
before their general release. The four sets can be seen here:

http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Query=4346-4349

I just got these, and they're very neat.  I like the idea of using the pod parts
in the model ideas.  It adds to the value of what you're buying, when the pod
itself is useful.  They seem to be selling well too - the Argos near me is sold
out already.  I got the last set.

My suggestion to Lego is now to produce some web-only ones in white (and maybe
light grey), and fill them with space ship parts.  And be prepared to sell them
10 at a time to AFOLS.  Actually, if they really want to see the stock vanish
overnight, bung in an orange minifig with a classic space logo on his chest...

Most AFOLs, I imagine, will buy the whole set.  But, here are some things I
noted on their versatility.

The blue one (vehicles) and yellow one (aircraft) make models small enough to
fit in the pod again afterwards (well, if you remove a yellow fin).  The green
one (robots) and the red one (creatures) make spindly things that don't easily
fit back in.  Worth noting if they're for travelling with kids.

The pods are just about big enough to tip the pieces into and root around (if
you know what you're looking for), but they'd require care not to spill
anything.  Maybe not ideal for playing with en route, unless there's a tray or
table handy.  Smaller hands might have better luck than me though...

The clear section of the pod isn't a hollow cylinder.  It's a cup, with a solid
bottom with studs on.  Maybe it's for strength, or to stop accidental spillage,
but it seems a bit redundant when the other dish locks on to the bottom.  So,
you couldn't simply stack two clear sections together and stand minifigs up
inside it.

The top and bottom dishes are different.  One is the inverted version of the
other.  You can lock the top and bottom dish together to make a curved disc,
with 2x2 studs on top and stud holes on the bottom.

The odd thing is, when the pod is fully assembled, the studs on the bottom of
the clear part are facing down.  So, if you tried to use the clear part on its
own, you'd have to turn it upside-down to build on.

The coloured dishes have a cross-hole to grip a technic axle.  The clear cup has
a round hole through it.  There's also a ring in the bottom of the 'cup' around
this hole.  This ring is the size of the tube under a brick.  So, it can accept
a single stud, or grip in the middle of four studs.

So, to use the clear part as, say, a circular window, you'd have to build a
small pillar up the centre and sit it upside-down on top of the pillar.

Jason Railton