 General / 44974
Re: New x-pod sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:37:05 GMT

I may possibly have been passed Argos today and may possibly have accidently
brought the sets.
They Rock !!
A lot of thought obviously has gone into the part selection, the muli
functions of the pods are great.
Each one has multiple model instructions and instructions for combining
sets - and they are pocket money priced
The only thing that really sucks is the new grey colours ;) but I digress.

I did think it was a bit odd as I got through my new club magazine yesterday
which is offering an exclusive chance to win one well before their
release????

--
James Stacey
------

Huw Millington wrote:
The new Argos [1] catalogue came out today in the UK, and in it are
the new x-pod Designer sets, which they had in stock, seemingly
several months before their general release. The four sets can be
seen here:

http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Query=4346-4349

These are interesting because they each come in a canister which has
studs/connectors on their base and lids so can be used as part of the
models:

Overview:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010672.jpg

The canister:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010673.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010674.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010675.jpg

with bricks in:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010676.jpg

The lids and base screw on; a 1/2 turn needed to remove and secure
them. The base of the clear tub also has connectors on it, and an
axle hole in the middle.

The canisters join to each other:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010677.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010678.jpg

and, because Argos were selling them as a lot of 4, they also came
with a strap which threads through their sides and allows them to be
carried:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010680.jpg

The strap has an embroidered LEGO logo on the end. I have no idea how
this strap will be available normally, but perhaps other shops, which
will sell them singly, will give them out if you buy all four. It a
right pain to thread the strap through the holes in the canister
sides, though!

Anyone who has taken a 'bot-kit' with them on their travels will
appreciate these, and space-heads will undoubtably find a use for the
canisters as spaceship cabins, much like they did with the Duplo eggs.

Once moderated:

Huw

[1] Argos is a national UK high-street chain that publishes a
catalogue once a year, and is often the first shop to carry new lines
in January and August.