 General / 4437
Re: Is LUGNET working?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 20:39:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main writes:
Like many of you, I have started reading rtl less and depend more and more on
LUGNET for my Lego news.  I also enjoy the sense of community that LUGNET
fosters.  But I do have some concerns about LUGNET.  There seems to be a lot • of
Lego information that gets posted to rtl yet never makes it to LUGNET.  Some
basic things like discussions about new additions to the official Lego site, • or
things seen in a Lego catalog are discussed on rtl, but not on LUGNET.
<snipped concerns>

Certain items don't make it because although it *is* superior, Todd (at least)
once said he didn't intend Lugnet to replace rtl, so it doesn't. If it does end
up replacing it gradually via steady trickle, well then that's different. And
IMO in many ways so much the better. I skip more than I read now in rtl.

If I may sound snobby here a second: I've noticed that it seems that there are
more mature people here on Lugnet, and as such, those folks tend to have
professional day jobs.(1) Often I don't have time to research my hobby to the
degree that others do and I can easily imagine it is the same with others with
full-time employment.

Also, some people don't like the idea of one person holding all the cards, as
might be attributed to Todd's case in owning Lugnet. There are rules here
because the site is privately owned. In the case of any rtl poster's virtual
anonymity, anarchy can be fun: "I can say anything I want, so #$!%$ you, you
&%$#@!% right-wing wacko censorship freak!" ;-)  What it means is that some
people don't want to clean up their act.

It might be worthwhile to actively measure if the useful info (as determined by
each person) here really differs that much from rtl. It probably differs less
than you might think. While there could be fewer new pieces of information,
it's worth it.

I don't see it as a problem per se. Lugnet is working. To me, comparing rtl to
Lugnet is like comparing citizens' band to pay-per-view.

-Tom McD.
when replying, kill-file the spamcake.

(1) So why am I posting this during the day?