 General / 4421
Re: Plans vs imagination
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 12:15:27 GMT

Gary Istok wrote in message <37496650.6B84D7BE@umich.edu>...
I agree with Kevin and Silas.

Back in the 60's (when I was a child), I remember getting the Junior • Constructor
set #717, for Christmas.  The only instructions were on the inside of the • box
top.  It was a 500 piece set, and there were only 3 pictures (3 steps of
building) of the model house in different stages of completion!  Back then • they
did not "spoon feed" you step by step instructions for where every brick • was
supposed to go.  If this house were made as a set today, I would guarantee • you
that there would be instructions with 15 steps (and diagrams), rather than • the 3
that were given in that set.  Back then you had to use your imagination to
figure out how to complete the back of buildings, since instructions were • such
that you always got the front perspective.  I always found this intriguing.

Back in 60's (when I wasn't existing yet)..:-)

Anyway, I also share the same thought with you. My first one was a universal
set (033) from 1968 (given to me in 1976), and it had no instructons, except
from the pictures of completed models printed all around the box. It had no
special pieces, too. Just three plates, four wheels and rest was regular
bricks. I learned about what the lego creativity is from this set. First
looking completed models and trying to build them, then looking to the real
things and trying to build them, after learning from the former how can I
"approximate" the real shapes with "rectangular" elements. Ability to think
in lego units is just great, and general purpose sets of the past was better
then the present sets.

Selçuk