 General / 4321
Re: Plans vs imagination
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 13:53:18 GMT

Instructions...hmm...

One nice thing about instructions is that I can sit down and midlessly snap
bricks together and have a model form.  This is very relaxing; although I
do have to remind myself to build slowly.

Another nice thing about instructions is that I can see other solutions to
the problems I am having, and I can use those solutions, modify them, or
use them as inspiration.  True, step by step instructions are not required
for this.

Sometimes it is nice to sit down in front of 2 piles of LEGO (regular and
"special" bricks is how I sort them) and crate a model from within. Once I
have created a model I want to document it. First was with photographs, now
it is digital photographs on the web.

Creating instructions is a way for some builders to document what they have
created.  Because I am a Mac user creating step by step instructions
(LDraw) isn't really an option. So, if I find a way to do something and I
think it is an improvement on a previous design, or just a new way of doing
something I will high light the area of insterest by taking extra pictures.
Additionally, I can see that creating instructions for a model you have
designed makes the model more complete. It is almost as though people who
have created models and instructions to go with the model are creating a
"LEGO Set" that other people can build. Isn't it and ego trip to be copied?

I think the truth is that LEGO instructions are a learning tool. Unless you
are a LEGO genius without learning from instructions and some
experimentation of our own most of us would not be able to come up with the
designs that we feature on our web sites.

Chris

PS. I was excetied to see someones B-Wing instructions. I like the B-Wing
but I have never tried making one.  After looking at the B-Wing I will
probably check the intructions to get some ideas and see if I cannot build
one for myself.

Kevin Wilson wrote:

Here's a loaded question...

I see a lot of posts asking for instructions or pictures of how to build
a <insert item here>. Not just ideas, but actual step-by-step
instructions.

Is it just me, or does this seem like a contradiction of the idea behind
Lego? Isn't the idea to use our own imaginations to come up with our own
creations?

Here's an even more loaded question: is there a difference in approach
between those who grew up on Lego in the early days, (when there were
only "brick assortment" sets and no sets which built a specific model,
and no step-by-step instructions) and those who grew up with it when
most of the Lego one bought came in sets, with instructions?

Kevin