 General / 4314
Re: Plans vs imagination
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 11:20:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Wilson writes:
Here's a loaded question...

I see a lot of posts asking for instructions or pictures of how to build
a <insert item here>. Not just ideas, but actual step-by-step
instructions.

Is it just me, or does this seem like a contradiction of the idea behind
Lego? Isn't the idea to use our own imaginations to come up with our own
creations?

Here's an even more loaded question: is there a difference in approach
between those who grew up on Lego in the early days, (when there were
only "brick assortment" sets and no sets which built a specific model,
and no step-by-step instructions) and those who grew up with it when
most of the Lego one bought came in sets, with instructions?

Kevin

Yes loaded, but surely rhetorical,

Do you ever need instruction? I see the whole thing as something totally
positive. Life's full of problems and puzzles and we're all seeking solutions.
People use this forum (Lugnet) to brainstorm - use other peoples solutions to
solve their building challenges or enhance their own creations. If problem
solving was left up to single people working things out on their own, we'd be
nowhere near as 'advanced'.

As for wanting instuctions - nothing's more soothing than picking up a bucket
full of mixed up bits of Lego and discovering that with the help of
instructions a pirate ship, space station and super-car can be brought back
from the dead! Lets face it - Lego has been getting it right with their designs
for years! I'm sure we all hope they continue to do so!

I made X-wings and speeder bikes for years out of all my multi-coloured bricks
- but the fact they were making actual Starwars models pulled me right out of
my 'Dark Ages'. As long as they keep coming up with excellent themes I'm going
to buy them...and use the instructions!

I'm firmly in the yellow grasp! - Ben