 General / 43758
Re: New colors and other info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:25:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Michael Dallaston wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   2. The LEGO color palette has grown a bit organically (a nice way of saying haphazardly) over time. As needs for new colors came up, new colors were created somewhat independently of the rest of the colors. Since we have added many new colors in the last few years, it was clear that we needed a specific, focused, and defined color palette. In design terms, the colors needed to “fit together” better.
Correct me if I’m wrong here, but does this mean that the new colours were chosen because the design dudes think it will make them look better in combination with the other primaries? I believe, if this is so, then it is a good move. Future builders may look back at our generation’s grey and think ‘ewww, they built with that?’ :P

My take on Jake’s statement and on looking at the comparative pictures that have been posted is that the colors have been shifted to be chromatically linear. In other words, if you were to map the colors into RGB space, Dark Grey is not on a straight line between Grey and Black, but appears to have a tinge of extra Yellow added in there. Compare this to Sand Red (and the other Sand colors) which appears to be a roughly equal mix of Red and White. So this change might make the colors more consistent from a mathematical point of view, but it also makes them less realistic. In the real world, not everything is Red, Yellow, and Blue, which was why LEGO came out with earth tone colors like Brown and Dark Grey in the first place.

Personally, I can understand the rationale for coming out with colors that are more linear, and I understand that even a company the size of LEGO has limits on how many different products they can carry, but I am still disappointed that two of the most useful colors currently available are being abandoned.

   Whenever I get my hands on new pieces, new styles, new themes, I say, ‘I wonder what I could do with these...’

New is good, but getting rid of old is bad. (Can you say Monorail?) It’s not that the new shades aren’t welcome, but not at the expense of the old ones.

- Chris.