 General / 43752
Re: New colors and other info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:47:20 GMT

Hello all, and thanks Jake for such a speedy response!

It seems a majority of people (at least of those who posted) here are disappointed in this new direction Lego appears to be taking. And I can fully understand where they are coming from.

But I don’t share their point of view, and I surprise myself by saying this. In fact, I am quite looking forward to seeing the new colours and what effects can be acheived through their combination with others. Sure, it will limit my aesthetic choices in some areas, but also expand them in others. Your creativity is the limit, guys. Bionicle was going to be the end of the world too, but nowadays builders (very good builders) from space, mecha and even castle use bionicle parts to great effect.

Yeah, I know you’re thinking you can still get non-bionicle parts, but the new colours will totally replace the old ones. Well, yeah. I can’t really counter that and its a pity for those who like the old. That’s the way it goes I guess. We can’t all have what we want from Lego. Lego does what Lego does for its own reasons, and I guess it has reasons for having those reasons...

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   2. The LEGO color palette has grown a bit organically (a nice way of saying haphazardly) over time. As needs for new colors came up, new colors were created somewhat independently of the rest of the colors. Since we have added many new colors in the last few years, it was clear that we needed a specific, focused, and defined color palette. In design terms, the colors needed to “fit together” better.
Correct me if I’m wrong here, but does this mean that the new colours were chosen because the design dudes think it will make them look better in combination with the other primaries? I believe, if this is so, then it is a good move. Future builders may look back at our generation’s grey and think ‘ewww, they built with that?’ :P

Whenever I get my hands on new pieces, new styles, new themes, I say, ‘I wonder what I could do with these...’

I’ll treat these colours just the same way. Not thinking of what could have been, but what can be now.

As a wise man once said, Just Imagine...

Michael