 General / 42596
42595  |  42597
Subject:
What kind of events do Ontario LEGO builders want? (WAS Re: [rtlToronto] Roadshow 2003 Toronto)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:55:49 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets wrote:

http://www.lugnet.com/~817/road1

Well I now updated it, so that it is essentially complete.
I added text included a description of each station, and added pictures
where appropriate.

As a side note:

"I spent $26 CDN to spend about 2 hours at the LEGO show. Maybe next time LEGO
will pick a more reasonable place to have a cool event."

Think of it less as a destination than as an interesting sideshow.

I believe the the idea of the Zoo was to have it in a nice family outing
location where families would be regardless of the event, ie, they're already be
at the Zoo enjoying the animals, so the entrance wasn't that big of a deal.  The
controlled location is a whole lot better than some parking lot somewhere, which
is where a lot of the other Roadshow stops are...

I don't believe they're targetting individuals coming just to see Lego, they
want the entire family.

Calum, your posting got me thinking.  (which in itself can be a dangerous thing,
so beware!)  And so I am going to knowingly and blatantly highjack this thread
in hopes of generating some discussion among Ontario builders, both in and
outside of Toronto.  This probably won't win me any new fans, but then I'm not
running for class president, so I guess I'll just have to take the risk.  :)

Tim Courtney started a thread a while back asking about what defined the LEGO
'community'.  This particular thread, about the Zoo exhibit, has me wondering
about the nature of LEGO exhibits/meetings/shows/displays/contests etc. in the
Ontario region.

The simple question that came to my mind is, "what do builders in Ontario want
when it comes to a LEGO-related event that they would participate in?"  Would
people get excited if a Brickfest style gathering were held in Ontario?  Do
people think that only company-sponsored events are worth attending?  How many
people are interested in holding a show that is mostly display oriented?  And
should that show be private?  Or public?

The recent 1000Steine-land show in Germany illustrates (in my mind) what happens
when LEGO fans get seriously involved in showing off their incredible creations.
And what surprised me was that a *similar* opportunity for Ontario fans (or
beyond) seems to be going unnoticed.  Just so there's no confusion, I'm speaking
of course of The Hobby Show in November in Toronto.  A three day show where LEGO
builders have been invited to display their work among other adult hobby
participants.  Standard audience?  About 25,000 people over the weekend.  Total
number of Ontario LEGO builders interested in attending?  Not very many.

Which is fine... perhaps.  I may have overestimated the potential interest that
a show like this would draw.  Admittedly, this is the first year LEGO fans have
been invited to participate in this show that is now in it's 25th year.  And...
I realize that the idea of simply displaying your models (without other
Brickfest type events) doesn't hold much appeal for some of you.  But here is a
chance to build something for others to share, to meet other LEGO fans you might
not otherwise get to know in person, and generally just help promote LEGO as an
adult hobby.

So here's my next series of questions:  Is the fact that there's never been a
large show like this in Ontario due to the fact that there's no interest in
having one?  Or is there no interest, because no one's ever assembled an event
like this?

Would it help if the LEGO company were participating in this show?  Would it
help to know that the building has night-time security and that all models would
be safe over the weekend?  Or to know that participants get into the show free?
I'm just curious what might help draw more builders out of the woodwork.... and
I think there are more out there.  :)

Some members of rtlToronto are participating and I greatly appreciate them
bringing their train display and some robotics stuff.  And while they do both
very well, there are still lots of opportunities for other builders who (like
me) build in other themes or styles.

Does Toronto seem too far away for some people?  Are people concerned about
costs related to travelling and lodging?  Are people intimidated by the idea
that their creations might not be as spectacular as someone else attending? What
if I could get the Rolling Stones to come and build some LEGO models?  ;)

There you go folks.  I hope this message will draw some discussion,
suggestions... debate even.  I know that there is a large LEGO event just
waiting to happen in this part of the world, I'm just not sure what it is.

For those already volunteering to attend the show... my many thanks.  This
year's show will happen, for sure.  We have our table space and we will be
there.  Will it happen again next year?  I'm not sure.

Thanks for wading through this little rant.  I apologize in advance for any ill
feelings.  I'm not frustrated so much, as disappointed.  And confused... though
what's new?  I guess I'm just curious to hear people express what type of
LEGO-related event they might want in this area.  Or, perhaps the already
existing fests and other events are all that people desire.

Thanks again,
Allan B.