 General / 31716
Re: FOTM/LOTM (Loss of the Month) Some thoughts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 02:09:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bryan Beckwith writes:

LEGO as a whole is a collectable toy.  A better phrase would be "collector's
item."  A toy is only a collector's item if you make it so.  If you just
want to be able to play with it, it is no longer a collector's item (at
least not to you and by playing with it you probably removes the appeal it
would have had to collectors).  As for discarding the set a few days later,
I admit this may happen but I like to think a quality set will introduce the
kid into a lifetime of fascination with LEGO.

I look at it like this:  there's enthusiasts, and there's collectors.
And of course there're overlaps.  I consider myself an enthusiast.
My fave them  being Classic Space I buy lots of it.  I have this nasty
tendency of being completist with regards to these themes I'm
enthused about.  But I want the sets to build, and not to sit in
a sealed box or something, which is where I differ from the extremist
collector.  Unfortunately since I'd like sets in the best piece
condition I can find, I end up pitted up against the collectors in
bids for sealed sets.  And it goes without saying that I get creamed.
The only place I score are sets I see for sale that are un-used, but
the boxes are totally trashed.  That scares off the collectors, so
as a enthusiast I get a set with essentially mint pieces, and at a far
lower price than a MISB, for example.

So yeah, a long-winded way of saying I agree with you 100%..., it's
only a collector's item in the eyes of a collector.  The original
Guarded Inn will always be highly sought by hard-core collectors,
regardless of how many knock-offs LEGO re-issues.  The re-issues
are the ones the enthusiasts want to get their hands on, because
the originals cost to bleedin' much (a MISB one just closed on
eBay for about US$150).  Some day down the road, collectors will
want the re-issues as well...

Jumping waaay back to the original post, I too hate it when I see
people snap up limited-availability items in large numbers from S@H
and the like, only to turn around and stick them up on eBay for
jacked-up prices.  To me it's identical to scalping tickets.  I've
got no problem with making profit---I've certainly made some
re-selling sets.  But I make it on sets I find on sale in stores
that aren't available anymore.  So I make them available to a
wider market so that people who wouldn't otherwise have access
can get at them.  And I make a profit in the process.  I just
don't believe in cleaning out S@H purely for the intention of
re-selling them at inflated prices.

Of course I've no specific way to prove anyone has actually
done that intentionally...  ;]

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada