 General / 31663
Re: FOTM/LOTM (Loss of the Month) Some thoughts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 03:53:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Lovelace writes:
Get ready to hate me, but...

Hate is such a strong word.  I'll just get ready to Ritvik you or something. :-)

If this was something like a Galaxy Explorer, you darned right I would have
snatched it.  I also would have given the kid ten bucks cash to go buy
something off the rack at K-Mart, though.

Galaxy What? ;-)  Shame on you!  Part of playing well is playing fair and
when someone else has first dibs, kid or adult, they have first dibs.  Shame
on you again for sending him off to K-Mart, at least send him to a decent
toy store.

And Guarded Inn is specifically being re-released for the collectors, not
the kiddies.  I LOVE playing with my Lego sets with my two kids.  One is 5,
one is 8, and neither give a crap about the value of the sets they're
playing with, which is fine.

I disagree, the fact that the Guarded Inn comes in a S@H box with "first
edition released 1986" printed on it pretty much takes away it's appeal for
collectors (at least I would imagine so).  I would also imagine that the
re-release of the set will somewhat decrease the amount people will be able
to sell original Guarded Inns for, given that many people buy them to play
with and not to collect.

But a valuable, rare, collectable toy deserves better than to be torn into
and discarded a few days later.  Especially when they could be just as
satiated by something less rare and collectable.

LEGO as a whole is a collectable toy.  A better phrase would be "collector's
item."  A toy is only a collector's item if you make it so.  If you just
want to be able to play with it, it is no longer a collector's item (at
least not to you and by playing with it you probably removes the appeal it
would have had to collectors).  As for discarding the set a few days later,
I admit this may happen but I like to think a quality set will introduce the
kid into a lifetime of fascination with LEGO.

--Dave (jot and jab)

P.S.  The Western set, on the other hand, might be a personal holy grail for
Brian, but IMO doesn't rank as an empirically FOTM-level set.  I'd have let
the kid have that one, no problem.

That's Bryan, Dive. :-)  It's not really a holy grail for me, but definitely
a set I've always admired.  If it had been a Galaxy Whatever, I hate to tell
you that I would have still tried to buy it and it would have been sorted
into a parts bucket.  Oh the horror!

P.P.S.  I can...feel...your anger.  Use it!  Strike me down with it!

I am channelling it in an attempt to conjure up Fort LEGOREDO.  While I am
unhappy to report that nothing has appeared yet, I think I am on the right
track.  My dog just burped something nasty right onto my foot.