 General / 31698
Re: FOTM/LOTM (Loss of the Month) Some thoughts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 23:07:10 GMT

If this was something like a Galaxy Explorer, you darned right I would have
snatched it.  I also would have given the kid ten bucks cash to go buy
something off the rack at K-Mart, though.

Galaxy What? ;-)  Shame on you!  Part of playing well is playing fair and
when someone else has first dibs, kid or adult, they have first dibs.  Shame
on you again for sending him off to K-Mart, at least send him to a decent
toy store.

Ha-HA!  Life is so, so much easier when you have no soul.  Such is my mania;
I do not apologize for it!  But OK, K-Mart is pretty harsh.

And whaddya mean, "Galaxy What?"  AACK!  I'm bleeding here!

And Guarded Inn is specifically being re-released for the collectors, not
the kiddies.

I disagree, the fact that the Guarded Inn comes in a S@H box with "first
edition released 1986" printed on it pretty much takes away it's appeal for
collectors (at least I would imagine so).

Well, it sure won't find a mainstream market audience either (esp. kiddies),
not with THIS packaging, and not by limiting its release to the LD catalog!
[I didn't know about the packaging at all when I wrote my noise yesterday,
BTW.]  Anyway, if the Legend marketers were not trying to appeal to a
collector (not to mention it being a re-release of a set which came out
before today's kids were even born), then it's not trying to appeal to
ANYONE, which is hard to believe.

But a valuable, rare, collectable toy deserves better than to be torn into
and discarded a few days later.  Especially when they could be just as
satiated by something less rare and collectable.

LEGO as a whole is a collectable toy.  A better phrase would be "collector's
item."  A toy is only a collector's item if you make it so.

Ah, c'mon...you know...I mean the packaging, the manual, etc.  What's a
loose 6990 with missing pieces and no book worth, versus a nice boxed one?
Whoops, another reference to a space set.  Sorry...my field of knowledge
doesn't stretch far from this genre, as anyone who's read my stupid pages
knows already, I'm sure!  http://www.umop.com/lego.htm

I admit this may happen but I like to think a quality set will introduce the
kid into a lifetime of fascination with LEGO.

That's a deep issue.  Can the re-introduction of old-fashioned,
non-juniorized sets turn the tides on today's kids' lack of concentration?
No, Pokemon and his demonic ilk are just too powerful...

--Dave (jot and jab)

P.P.S.  I can...feel...your anger.  Use it!  Strike me down with it!

I am channelling it in an attempt to conjure up Fort LEGOREDO.  While I am
unhappy to report that nothing has appeared yet, I think I am on the right
track.  My dog just burped something nasty right onto my foot.

Haw.  From Star Wars™ to barfing puppies in one deft stroke.  Touché!