 General / 31660
Re: FOTM/LOTM (Loss of the Month) Some thoughts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 01:29:28 GMT

Dave & All,

Get ready to hate me, but...

Now, now, we all love each other here, right? ; )

If this was something like a Galaxy Explorer, you darned right I would have
snatched it.  I also would have given the kid ten bucks cash to go buy
something off the rack at K-Mart, though.

This whole situation was very unique, and I think we need to look at it in
that regard. I might have bought the set for the child, I might not have. It
depends on a lot of factors. If I see any set, especially one like that for
10.00, I might be inclined to buy it, no matter what it is.

And Guarded Inn is specifically being re-released for the collectors, not
the kiddies.

I would say more along the lines of AFOL's, fans of the brick, and even to
broaden the Kings Kingdom line. It is a great set, and I am glad it was
re-released. IMHO, I think it ruins some of the people that do buy sets for
the purpose of reselling them at a later date. I don't have a problem with
that, although many people do. I bought many sets I thought I never would
simply because of that. And I am too much of a realistic to expect every set
i want to be re-released.

I LOVE playing with my Lego sets with my two kids.  One is 5,
one is 8, and neither give a crap about the value of the sets they're
playing with, which is fine.

Right.

But a valuable, rare, collectable toy deserves better than to be torn into
and discarded a few days later.  Especially when they could be just as
satiated by something less rare and collectable.

True, I think we will lose a generation of AFOL's simply because they do not
have the same kind of sets LEGO used to make. I doubt many of us would be
here today if we did not fall in love with some series, whether it be space,
town, castle, TECHNIC, or train.  it will be interesting to see in the next
10 years or so.

P.S.  The Western set, on the other hand, might be a personal holy grail for
Brian, but IMO doesn't rank as an empirically FOTM-level set.  I'd have let
the kid have that one, no problem.

That is definatelt to each his own, I have several sets I would call that,
but that's just me. : )

P.P.S.  I can...feel...your anger.  Use it!  Strike me down with it!

No anger, just a different perspectve, which I think was neede din this
discussion, although it seems to evolve into the never ending class warfare,
you should do this with LEGO, etc. etc. To each his own, folks. : )