 General / 31665
Re: FOTM/LOTM (Loss of the Month) Some thoughts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 04:15:40 GMT

Scott E. Sanburn wrote in message ...
True, I think we will lose a generation of AFOL's simply because they do • not
have the same kind of sets LEGO used to make. I doubt many of us would be
here today if we did not fall in love with some series, whether it be • space,
town, castle, TECHNIC, or train.  it will be interesting to see in the next
10 years or so.

I don't think falling in love with a series/theme is necessary for
AFOL-ism... when I was a Lego-loving kid I had *no* themed sets because the
very first sets-which-built-a-specific-model had only just started to
appear, and there must be other AFOL's over 40 like me. We were hooked by
the possibilities of the bricks, I think.

Whether kids nowadays could get hooked like that I don't know: a drawback of
sets as opposed to piece assortments is that they do channel creativity, and
with the decline of set quality in the stores and reduction of creativity
potential, many kids may never realise the potential of the brick.

Kevin
Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com
Brickbay Lego parts store: http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1
eBay Lego auctions: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/kevinw1/