 General / 31658
Re: FOTM/LOTM (Loss of the Month) Some thoughts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 23:28:29 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Lovelace writes:
Get ready to hate me, but...

If this was something like a Galaxy Explorer, you darned right I would have
snatched it.  I also would have given the kid ten bucks cash to go buy
something off the rack at K-Mart, though.

Right *on*! I woulda snatched it (the fort, not the galaxy explorer - yuck
;-) myself. Not to sell to someone though, I'd keep it to myself. There's a
difference.

And Guarded Inn is specifically being re-released for the collectors, not
the kiddies.

Uhhh- I slightly disagree, while the set was released because of adults,
kids can and probably will enjoy it.

I LOVE playing with my Lego sets with my two kids.  One is 5,
one is 8, and neither give a crap about the value of the sets they're
playing with, which is fine.

Right again. That's why I was <insert expletive expressing anger> beyond
belief when my ex-client went and bought a bunch of pirate sets in a garage
sale, after I specifically mentioned I was gonna go hunt goodies there. He
gave the sets to his kids, and since I baby-sat for them, I saw them and was
outraged. I didn't say anything though... but, by *god*, I was *mad*. The
kids didn't build the sets at all, just had the pirate-related pieces lying
around, and probably would've enjoyed a 3033 a lot more.

But a valuable, rare, collectable toy deserves better than to be torn into
and discarded a few days later.  Especially when they could be just as
satiated by something less rare and collectable.

<nod nod>

*But* you forget that the sets off of K-mart shelves nowadays are juniorized
and horrible. So I wouldn't feel it was fair to give them $10 to buy a
current set, y'know?
That's why the guarded inn is great for both adult builders, collectors,
*and* children. It's a great build, a great play, and and old rarity. The
real one is still a rarity... so there.

P.S.  The Western set, on the other hand, might be a personal holy grail for
Brian, but IMO doesn't rank as an empirically FOTM-level set.  I'd have let
the kid have that one, no problem.

That's just personal opinion - like me and the galaxy explorer.

P.P.S.  I can...feel...your anger.  Use it!  Strike me down with it!

No anger! No strikes. ;-)

-Shiri