 General / 30317
Re: Sopwith Camel (#3451) shipped...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 01:03:52 GMT

No this is no joke.  If it were, it would be no laughing matter.  I don't
want to get everyone into an uproar here, but let me put it this way..... if
it were up to Lego Direct, they would sell us any part in any color, more
than likely.  But yes, there is someone in Billund that controls the
colors/parts for all sets.  It is not a matter for public discussion by Lego
employees, but I have talked to a few ex-employees over the years to know
for a fact that a midlevel beaurocrat in Billund has the power to say what
may or may not be produced and in what color.  That is why you might never
see 2x2 windows in black or gray again (they were made sparingly in the 70's
& 80's in train sets only).

So company designers have to build with what they have available.  Yeah it
sucks, but I think (and I am guessing here) that maybe this person wants to
keep rare parts rare.  Some pieces get used in one or two sets, and then
boom they are no longer available.  Maybe we should keep an eye open for
anticipating rare parts of the future.  Here are a few examples:  the white
railing pieces were made in curved and straight styles a few years ago ---
they haven't been made since (to my knowledge), and might not ever be made
again.... in white.  Another example would be the 2x2 regular sloped outside
corner brick in YELLOW.  I believe it was only ever made in 2 sets, one was
a pink Paradisa style plastic oval box from 1995.  That set had 4 of them,
and they haven't been seen since.  Don't expect to see them for a while
again, if ever.  And sometimes a rare part will show up again, such as the
2x2x3 steep slope corner brick in blue.  But I don't know the rhyme nor
reason to what Lego does.  But it is controlled from Billind.

Here are some rare parts that may or may not show up again:

2x2 windows in black or gray (train sets)
3x3 outside corner low slope bricks in yellow (7740 train only known
source).
2x2 inside corner regular slope brick in white (770 Rescue Helicopter only
known source)
2x2x3 steep slope corner bricks in gray or black.
1x4x5 half arches in red or yellow.

But please don't complain to Lego Direct about it.  Their hands are probably
tied, and besides, they can't talk about it.  I only hope that they are
trying to get around this "bottleneck".  I have been trying to get rare
parts from TLC now since 1985.  And I still haven't gotten any, except from
old sets.  I only hope that in time (and we must be patient) that LD will be
able to get around this problem.

Gary Istok

("It riles them to believe that we perceive the web they weave" - Moody
Blues  - 1967).

Nephilim wrote:

In lugnet.general, Gary Istok writes:
The reason this set was a "sculpture" instead of a "model team" set
is because sculptures are under the "Lego Direct" umbrella, and
therefore have some immunity from that dastardly fellow in Billund
that controls the colors that can be used for any particular part.

How do you know this (that this is why the set is sold as a
sculpture)?

doubt you would have seen red curved railings if this set were a model
team set.

Tell us more about this, please?

--

Jeff <jthompson@esker.com>   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"