 General / 27375
Re: Creator scourge strikes again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 05:45:35 GMT

Kevin Johnston wrote:
Anyway, this is all pretty obvious, isn't?  The death of the mini-fig
appears  to me to be written on the wall.  It's difficult to imagine lego
maintaining two small figure scales indefinitely.  Lego seems intent on
competing with action figures more directly, and the slightly larger Creator
figs allow for that.

I'm not sure I'd place that much significance on the Creator figures.
I'd note that they look to be a similar scale to Fabuland (though
perhaps with not quite the charm of Fabuland). Fabuland came and went
during the life of minifigs. In fact, TLC has experimented with a
variety of figures for the younger crowd, and some of those experiments
have produced nice lines of sets (take a look at Fabuland, while
somewhat "juniorized", the set designs tend to be attractive, provide a
not absolutely trivial building experience, have good play value, and
provide the rest of us with some interesting pieces in different colors
from what we might see in a System set). I've bought a bunch of the
Mickey Mouse sets for the parts, and from what I can see of the Creator
sets, I'll be buying a bunch of them also. I even see the new figures as
a bonus, unlike the Fabuland figures, the Creator figures might be
somewhat useable in a Castle setting as a bunch of ogres or something.
Seeing them, I really wish Wookie had been done as a Creator type
figure. Perhaps Hagrid will be done so.

I think the minifig is highly likely to be here to stay. Minifig scale
is a decent compromise between a scale at which you can provide a
detailed figure which has some articulation, and can interact with
constructions (by holding things, standing on things, etc.), and the
ability to actually lay out a town, or have a train which doesn't look
absolutely absurd. While Belville and Scala allow nicely detailed
figures, they are extremely limited in the capability of building a
scene (and unless I missed something, the only vehicle between either
set is the Belville carriage, though some of the Technic vehicles can be
made to hold a Belville figure).

Frank