 Year / 2001 / 653
Re: Creator scourge strikes again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 05:19:18 GMT

In lugnet.year.2001, Frank Filz writes:
I'm not sure I'd place that much significance on the Creator figures.
I'd note that they look to be a similar scale to Fabuland (though
perhaps with not quite the charm of Fabuland). Fabuland came and went
during the life of minifigs. In fact, TLC has experimented with a
variety of figures for the younger crowd, and some of those experiments
have produced nice lines of sets ... I even see the new figures as
a bonus, unlike the Fabuland figures, the Creator figures might be
somewhat useable in a Castle setting as a bunch of ogres or something.

You don't have dogheaded monsters in your castle set-ups Frank? Shame on
you!! It looks like Creator heads have the same connection as Belville,
Technic and Fabuland (and Scala?): see
http://www.brickset.com/view.asp?Set=4172-1. With a bit of Brasso/craftknife
work on the torsos and some head-swapping there could be some neat effects
to be had. The Lego Dacta site makes a big deal about one piece figures that
little kids can't pull apart -- we know the truth!!

Seeing them, I really wish Wookie had been done as a Creator type
figure. Perhaps Hagrid will be done so.

Don't forget <set:208> and <set:215_1> are multiple fig-type sets.

I think the minifig is highly likely to be here to stay. Minifig scale
is a decent compromise between a scale at which you can provide a
detailed figure which has some articulation, and can interact with
constructions (by holding things, standing on things, etc.), and the
ability to actually lay out a town, or have a train which doesn't look
absolutely absurd.

The minifig is so closely associated with Lego, I can't imagine them
abandoning it any time soon. Most people know two things about Lego
products: there are plastic bricks that hurt when you step on them, and
little yellow people who always smile.

--DaveL