 General / 24675
Re: Lego To Close Molding, Processing at Enfield, CT plant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:02:41 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Larry Pieniazek writes:
It will not make much of a difference.  I don't know how many machines Enfield
has, but I would suspect less than 25 injection molding machines (if they are
laying off 100 people...)

Really! I would think that 100 people (per shift) could support 3-400
molding machines. The machines don't need full time attendants. Do we have
an industrial engineer from the plastics industry in the house? I'm guessing.

I'm no engineer, but DK's Ultimate Lego book talks about the injection plant
called 'Kornmarken' (must mean something in Danish) at TLG's headquarters in
Billund.  It says that the injection moulding machines require VERY LITTLE
human supervision (I think it was 1 full time person per 50 or so machines).
So the layoffs are coming from elsewhere.

I think they will shed management layers first and foremost, then support
staff, then warehouse staff.  In Canada, for example, TLG closed it's
warehouse near Toronto last year, and moved into a small office space to
merely oversee distribution and sales, etc. - probably eliminating 50 or so
jobs.  All the warehousing and distribution was moved to Connecticut.