 LEGO Company / 181
180  |  182
Subject:
Richard shows his manners (was Re: Larry Tells All...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:54:34 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Richard Marchetti writes:
Larry Pieniazek writes:
<<I'm guessing.>>

Indeed I was. But it was an educated guess based on my experience in the
metals molding and manufacturing automation businesses, my chemical
engineering background, my reading of several books on Lego and their
manufacturing processes, and my friendship and working relationship with
industrial engineers.

As it turns out, on further investigation, including consulting some
industrial engineers with extensive knowledge of plastics molding, I was wrong.

On the low side.

The actual number of machines that a crew of 100 people can support depends
on how many of those people we allocate to functions such as manual
reinspection, hilo driver, tool crib, production control clerking,
supervisory, janitorial, etc.

If we assumed all 100 were mold tenders and all 100 worked one shift, the
number of molding machines supportable turns out to be somewhere between
1000 and 5000 machines. That's right, 50 machines per person as an upper end.

It is more reasonable to assume that those 100 are spread across three
shifts, and that well over half of the shift is other functions, giving us,
say, 15 people per shift doing mold tending. That gives somewhere between
150 and 750 machines. That's still significantly more than the 25 that James
was suggesting.

It's important to understand the significance of the difference in numbers.
At the same brick production rates, that means Enfield was producing between
6 and 30 times more bricks than James thought, meaning this closure is more
significant than some imagine. Way more significant. At the upper end,
almost two orders of magnitude more.

I made a guess, but it was an educated guess based on experience and I feel
it was an important contribution to the conversation. Your opinion may
differ, of course. If you've got facts to cite about Enfield production
volumes, those would be better than guesses, and I for one would welcome
them, as I welcome any positive contribution you or anyone else may make.

++Lar