 LEGO Company / 155
Re: Lego To Close Molding, Processing at Enfield, CT plant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:02:05 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Nathan McDowell writes:
In lugnet.lego, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"ENFIELD, Conn. (AP) -- Toymaker Lego Systems Inc. said Monday it would
close its molding and processing operations in Connecticut as part of a
global restructuring.

Yike's!!!  What does that mean for 3033 Tubs?  Don't those come from Enfield?
I can't see those being sold if they have to import them!

The Denmark-based toymaker estimates it will lose between $40 million and
$65 million this year, Lee said.

From a fan POV this should scare the pants off you!  That is a lot of money and
can't be a good thing.  I can only hope that part of that is from the Ramping
up of LD, Bulk Sales, and the Web site.  If its not I fear that we will be
paying more and more for parts in the near future.

The company also is anticipating a slowdown in the shipment of products
after the holidays. In response, it plans to implement a shortened workweek
for permanent employees in the company's distribution center, packing and
stock areas, Lee said."

Again this is quite scary.  Obviously sales are not good for TLC.  Whether or
not it is because of Jr'izing or a broadened product base I couldn't tell you.
Maybe it is just the current generation is more interested in Video Games and
Skateboards.

I know many of you think going back to pre-junior days would fix everything but
I am not so sure.  Sure *we* would buy more but I don't think that would have
as big an effect as some think.  In my mind we are 1%'ers, meaning we probably
make up 1% or less of TLC's customers.  Even if we also spend the most per
person we still don't make up a big portion of the market.

Sure we are great free advertising for TLC but if the *kids* (or their
parents) arn't buying LEGO then TLC is in trouble.

Man this is a downer.  I suggest buying as many 3033 tubs as you can because I
fear they may disappear soon.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/