 General / 24667
Re: Lego To Close Molding, Processing at Enfield, CT plant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:27:30 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Nathan McDowell writes:
"ENFIELD, Conn. (AP) -- Toymaker Lego Systems Inc. said Monday it would
close its molding and processing operations in Connecticut as part of a
global restructuring.

The move will mean the elimination of 94 jobs at Lego Systems, the North
American and Latin American operations of Swedish toymaker Lego Co. which
employs just under 1,100 people.

The full restructuring, to be announced Tuesday, will call for the
elimination of about 300 jobs worldwide, said Katherine Lee, a company
spokeswoman. The company employs roughly 9,000 people.

The Denmark-based toymaker estimates it will lose between $40 million and
$65 million this year, Lee said.

The company also is anticipating a slowdown in the shipment of products
after the holidays. In response, it plans to implement a shortened workweek
for permanent employees in the company's distribution center, packing and
stock areas, Lee said."

Aparently they're from Sweden *and* Denmark. =)

   Eh, Swedes, Danes, they're really just the same.  (Ack, don't
   *EVER* say that to a Swede *or* a Dane...although the Norwegians
   might get a kick out of it, unless you generalise them into it
   too.)  I wonder what the lugnet.loc.dk and lugnet.loc.se folks
   have to say about this little gaffe?

   Anyways, I wonder how this elimination of 300 jobs ends up
   looking considering how many new people they've been hiring in
   *other* areas.  And as for that $40m to $60m loss...how much
   of that is from saturation of the market with 2000 SW and the like
   sets that I was buying for 75% off as early as January 2000?
   Or is it all unsold stock and overhead?  Maybe I need a second
   primer on wholesale warehouse economics...but it seems like
   even that loss might be attributed to all the new startup and
   R&D costs to create some of the newer wonders.

   Or it might be one or two theme parks.

   best

   Lindsay