 General / 22153
Re: A project suggestion= Let's develop a Theme ourselves....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.general, lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 21:36:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Alex Farlie writes:
Perhaps we could have a lock plate at the upper end of 'canal' built using
the theme?  The problem is then how you suppourt the uuper plates?

A cool element would be a 16x16x4 part which is intended to support a
baseplate. 4 of them of course would be used to support a 32x32 baseplate. The
part would have a flat top (but it could be lacy to reduce weight, it just
needs to be strong enough to support a baseplate). The part should be set up
so a bunch of 2x4 bricks to interlock them (4 plate thicknesses below the top
surface so the studs don't intefere with the baseplate). The bottom should at
a minimum have 2x2 tube sections at each corner (and probably one in the
middle, in fact, having them at the middle of each side would be good). There
would be webbing between the 2x2 columns to provide bracing.

Now that tiles are easy to get, you can build a support relatively easily
yourself.

Another part I would like to see is a 32x32x1.x (or at least 16x32) part which
basically with a plate sitting on it is a total of 4 plates thick. The part
would provide support for the plate, thus allowing plates to be used as upper
floors and whatnot.

or produce a workable lock in between easilly?

An easy way to do it would be to basically build an elevator. The lower lock
gates could be the large wooden doors used in Ninja, or a new part. The upper
gates would be just a couple bricks high. The elevator unit would have the
lower part of the upper gates simulated, and would of course have the hinge
points for the doors, plus the elevator mechanism. The elevator should be
cranked by a windlass type arangement which sticks up through a hole on the
walkway beside the lock (and of course actually represents the gate operating
machinery - I think the gates are often opened by some kind of wheel or
windlass, at least on smaller locks if I remember from my childhood).

Frank