 CAD / 4628
Re: A project suggestion= Let's develop a Theme ourselves....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 22:18:28 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote:

In lugnet.cad, Kevin Wilson writes:
Farlie A wrote:
Not at all. Like I said above. Think navigable waterway (as in Shannon,
Missipi,Rhur etc.) not Birtish Canal (as in the Grand Union). I think that
river based navigational  'systems' exist in the US?

Oh sure, we could envision something along the Intercoastal Waterway in Florida.

The intercoastal is actually quite large, it extends at least up to
Virginia. It definitely has sections which would look like a canal
(because in fact, they are canals in the sense of being man made), but
don't have any locks that I know of.

There certainly are plenty of navigable waterway systems in the US and
Canada. There's historical ones like the Eirie Canal and the Middlesex
Canal. Then there's currently active (quite active in many cases) ones
such as the Saint Lawrence Seaway and the Missippii (though both of
those are primarily natural rivers, but both have locks). Another one
which may be surprising to some people is the Hudson River, which is
navigable up to Troy New York. Technically, the Hudson River is actually
a River/Estuary since it is tidal all the way up to Troy, 154 miles
upstream (the mean water level at Albany, just a few miles downstream of
Troy is 2 feet above sea level - one reference I read must have a typo,
it says "The Hudson River Estuary is a drowned river valley rising only
1.5 miles along 150 miles between New York City and Troy", given that
Troy can't possibly be at a higher elevation than Denver, I sense a
problem here [they probably mean 1.5 feet]).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com