 CAD / 4623
Re: A project suggestion= Let's develop a Theme ourselves....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.general, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 19:16:59 GMT

    There are indeed locks on the Mississippi.  I have seen them in Saint
Louis.

In lugnet.cad, Alex Farlie writes:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin Wilson writes:
Farlie A wrote:

Already I am (in tandem with the magazine project) working out in MLCAD • some
new baseplaes for a Canal type 'system'

Canals are a real nice idea Alex. The obvious set missing from your list
is a lock! Another possible would be a waterside inn. Separate boats as
well.

Well no lock because I was thinking more along the lines of the systems in
Europe (and possibly Norfolk?) which as far as I am away don't have locks. Ie
canal as in Ship Canal?

One thing to bear in mind is that canal systems vary widely from country
to country and are almost non-existent in the US as compared to Europe.
Sounds like you're planning a UK-style canal system which might not have
very wide appeal.

Not at all. Like I said above. Think navigable waterway (as in Shannon,
Missipi,Rhur etc.) not Birtish Canal (as in the Grand Union). I think that
river based navigational  'systems' exist in the US?

Canal was just a convinent notation for the parts and sets.
I felt river would have meant lesiure craft only. I wanted something that
involved frieght movment as well as passangers!!

It is exactly because of this kind of problem that I posted the sugesstion.
Perhpas if i had used 32X32 basplates with the road pattern replaced by a
river/canal/naviagble channel pattern then it might have been clearer.

Perhaps, another way of thinking,is that my canal ideas would be based on
Lego(R) Town scaling factors which seem to bear limited relation to 'real-
life' scales...

Alex

Kevin