 CAD / 4646
Re: A project suggestion= Let's develop a Theme ourselves....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.general, lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 03:16:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Alex Farlie writes:
In lugnet.cad, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.cad, Alex Farlie writes:
Perhaps we could have a lock plate at the upper end of 'canal' built using
the theme?  The problem is then how you suppourt the uuper plates?

A cool element would be a 16x16x4 part which is intended to support a
baseplate. 4 of them of course would be used to support a 32x32 baseplate. • The
part would have a flat top (but it could be lacy to reduce weight, it just
needs to be strong enough to support a baseplate). The part should be set up
so a bunch of 2x4 bricks to interlock them (4 plate thicknesses below the top
surface so the studs don't intefere with the baseplate). The bottom should at
a minimum have 2x2 tube sections at each corner (and probably one in the
middle, in fact, having them at the middle of each side would be good). There
would be webbing between the 2x2 columns to provide bracing.

you mean something like

----------------
|00|\      /|00|
|00| \    / |OO|
|--         |--|

00
00 is a 2x2 tubed section...

I'm confused as to whether this is a top view or side view.

Agree with you about needing interlocking. - Actaully perhaps 16X16X3 might be
better. Then you could use it other purposes. But I think this might make the
interlocking more difficult to add in?

You're right, 3 high is the correct height to make them. That, or a multiple
thereof, is the step height on most (all?) of the raised baseplates.
Interlocking will still be easy to do. I envision the interlocking being
between the 2x2 columns.

or produce a workable lock in between easilly?

An easy way to do it would be to basically build an elevator. The lower lock
gates could be the large wooden doors used in Ninja, or a new part. The upper
gates would be just a couple bricks high. The elevator unit would have the
lower part of the upper gates simulated, and would of course have the hinge
points for the doors, plus the elevator mechanism. The elevator should be
cranked by a windlass type arangement which sticks up through a hole on the
walkway beside the lock (and of course actually represents the gate operating
machinery - I think the gates are often opened by some kind of wheel or
windlass, at least on smaller locks if I remember from my childhood).

OF course this assume UK or at least european style locks.

Well, this style is used in the US also. My description above is based on what
I remember of the Songo Lock in Naples Maine. The following web site has a
good description of how a lock is operated:

http://www.pigpen.demon.co.uk/locks.htm

I was not quite correct in what the windlass operates. It is used to open
holes in the gates or chanels in the walls to allow water to move into or out
of the lock.

A pure design using only exsiting parts might,on a dry system
be to use 2 16x1 technic sterring racks to form an incline and mount a
platform on axles that rest on the rack?  You would still need strings but at
least ITIW (I think it would ) not need new parts.

You could use the 1x4 rack pieces with a worm gear. The hard part with
existing parts might be to hide all the machinery, at least if you want the
lower level of the lock to be as low as possible.

Frank