 General / 22108
Re: Interesting Article about LEGO collecting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 18:29:01 GMT

Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke wrote:

In lugnet.general, Gary Istok writes:
Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke wrote:
So I suppose you to be one of the brick millionaires? Do you have an idea
what's your brick count?

Ben
BTW: what is your nick in German eBay?

Ben, you will always be able to tell if it is me on eBay - "gistok" is my
nickname!

Never seen (or noticed) so far. But I'm mainly in search for train stuff....

By the way you don't happen to be "Ben_ aus_BS", are you?

Yes, Braunschweig, my hometown has the car number BS and as you certainly know
the "aus" means "from".....

For some
reason, I hate to bid against people I know.  I usually think "well I already • have
a lot of these, and maybe I should give someone else a chance to get some good
stuff".  Except of course when it comes to the 325 Shell Station - then watch
out!! (Just kidding, I already have enough of these).

I have no problems with that: usually I behave the same way, but if you really
need some sets or bricks: no mercy! The highbidder will loose more money. ;-)

As for my Lego collection, well it numbers about 600,000 pieces right now (and
growing).

My is just 150.000 for sure, but I suppose it to be twice as much, sice all
loose stuff from fleamarket and garage sales isn't counted in it.

Have a nice weekend,

Ben

BTW: at the moment there is another 325 in German eBay.

Ben, do you currently live in Braunschweig?  Isn't that where Heinrich der Löwe
(Henry the Lion - the arch-enemy of 12th century German Emperor Frederick I
Barbarossa) lived and is buried (in the Cathedral)?  I was born in Coburg (the
northernmost part of Bavaria) and came to Detroit at age 4.

Ben I have a train related question that is more "wheel" related.  What is the
difference between the old small black spoked wheels that come out of the black 2x4
brick housing, and those that cannot be removed (5070 Service pack).  I have some
of each, and I was wondering what would happen if I tried to force the (5070 type)
wheels out of the housing.  Would I break them.  The reason I ask, is that I am
building some 396 Thatcher Perkins models from spare parts (it has one small black
spoked wheel in the front of the engine), and I was wondering how to remove the
black spoked wheels from the 2x4 bricks, when they will not come out.  Will I
destroy them if I try to force them out?

I am planning on building some Thatcher Perkins scale LEGO trains (not for use on
tracks), and have a coal tender and passenger car already built.  I have never been

a train collector, but I find that the train set have some of the rarest pieces
that LEGO has ever produced.  Such as:

1x2x2 classic windows in Black and Gray.
1x1x2 classic windows in Black and Yellow.
1x2x1 classic windows in Yellow (also available in 325).
1x1x1 classic windows in Yellow (also available in 390, 398, etc).
3x3 outside corner low sloped Yellow bricks (only ever found in 7740 Intercity
Train).
1x3x2 Fence piece gates in red and black (also available elsewhere).

These are some of the rarest pieces that LEGO has ever produced.

Gary Istok