 General / 22022
Re: Interesting Article about LEGO collecting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:50:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Marina Artamonova writes:

Kinda off topic but i was wondering... how much do you guys spend on Lego per
month? It is addictive, and now when I jumped into it (BrickBay, bidding on
eBay) i realized that i spent quite a lot for just one month on Lego...
hmmm... got to stop and establish some pattern here... even being a dotcommer
has its money limitations :)... how do you guys manage this?

Well I would say that when I first came out of my "Darkages" I didn't manage it
to well.  I spent a ton on LEGO for about the first year building up my
collection.  Now I have tried to manage things better.  For me Brickbay was a
godsend in that for the last couple of months I try and get good sets at fairly
deep discount then I keep about 1/2 to 1/4 of the parts for myself and sell the
rest on Brickbay and using this approach I have actually MADE a very little bit
of money while still increasing my collection.

The trick is though that you have to sell some good parts with the bad so you
can't keep all the good plates, tiles, and figs for yourself.  You need to sell
at least some because with the exception of a few specialized parts this is
where you make your money although you would be supprised that some parts you
think are junk others will buy in a second.  Granted this is a lot more work
then just buying sets and sorting them into my collection but it keeps the
hobby going while trying to save money too.  My goal is to keep a close to NET
Zero Dollars on the books while increasing my collection.  For the first few
months its worked quite well.  The trick is finding the right sets at the right
price and not keeping all the good parts to yourself.

One example of this success is that I recently spent just $30 on a bunch of 50%
off small sets.  Withing 24 hours I made back my entire investment, still had
about 200 parts to sell (admittedly not as good but still available), and I had
between 100 and 150 parts for myself and no more cost than my time.  Obviously
thats a small example too I hope to be able to do the same with some bigger
sets soon its just finding them at a price I like.

Anyway thats my solution for the time being.  I also like Brickbay because I
have been able to buy a few parts that I otherwise would not have been able to
get without spending top dollar on some large sets.

Hope that helps,

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/