 General / 22024
Re: Interesting Article about LEGO collecting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 21:37:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Marina Artamonova writes:

Kinda off topic but i was wondering... how much do you guys spend on Lego per
month?

Larry had the definitive answer: more than I should, not as much as I want.

It is addictive, and now when I jumped into it (BrickBay, bidding on
eBay) i realized that i spent quite a lot for just one month on Lego...
hmmm... got to stop and establish some pattern here... even being a dotcommer
has its money limitations :)... how do you guys manage this?
Marina

When I decided to build up a very small Pirate collection into a very large
Pirate collection, I placed myself on a budget of $60 a month.  I could get
either a Redbeard Runner, or two Armada Flagships, or four Crossbone Clippers,
or some combination of those or other pirate sets that were on deep discount
at TRU at the time, per month.  Once all of those sets finally disappeared
from the shelves, I continued on a basic budget.  It taught me to: focus on
what I want, be patient, and wait for sales or good auctions because that way
my Lego budget went that much farther.

Also buying stuff on really heavy discount and holding it until it finally
disappears from shelves everywhere and then reselling it to others just
entering the market can supplement your budget.  Or parting them out, or
trading them.  I suppose it's time to start selling off my zeppelin fleet, now
that I think about it.

Bruce