 General / 2177
Re: TLG press release - not a crisis?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 14:25:13 GMT

Dollars to 2x4 bricks that this was ghosted for KKK.

See my rant in dear-lego just now. I had some time to think about this
after my meeting with the manager at LIC last night.

Thomas Main wrote:

Eric Brok wrote:

http://www.lego.com/info/pressspecific.asp?PressReleaseId=50&Year=1999

Eric

Indented material quoted from the press release:

        A DKK 1 billion improvement
             We have to sharpen our demands for our business system,
             but there also has to be room for both development and new
             activities. The Executive Team has therefore decided on a
             target of an improvement of DKK 1 billion in our annual
result.

DKK 1 billion is equal to approxiamately $155,678,367.  Does this sound
overly-ambitious to anyone else?  I have a hard time thinking in figures
like this :)

             This will not be achieved through mindless cuts but through
             the systematic implementation of efficiency measures,
             including the elimination of duplication, unnecessary
             bureaucracy, the purchase of services that are too costly
and
             so on.

I have always wondered about how Lego spends its money.  They apparantly
bought some sort of printing/publishing company last year, they invest
in the Modulex architectural sign company, etc.  It seems that these are
some areas that should be examined for efficiency cuts.  And they might
think about selling that historical doll collection they bought for an
outrageous amount of money...

The overall tone of this press release seemed odd to me.  I realize that
KKK probably doesn't speak English as his native language and that this
was written to employees and as a press release, but I would have
expected something more...professional?...than a "Fitness Programme
[...that will] put us back on course."  I suppose the details of
management and decision-making were what I was looking for.  Maybe once
this committee has made some decisions...

                our product concept and our main business activity- based on LEGO
bricks -

I was happy with this wording, even in the context of licensing.  Lego
bricks really ARE Lego's core business.  I think if they can concentrate
on that, they'll be ok.

Interesting stuff...can't wait to hear more :)

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu