 General / 2211
Re: TLG press release - not a crisis?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:30:45 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote in message <36abdc17.2168556@lugnet.com>...

I've got a little bit of authority to speak to this.  My employer, Amway
Corporation, has (from the organizational side of things) some
similarities to TLG[1].  They are family-owned, multi-national
companies.  They have both been in a slump lately.  Amway has already
been through a period of downsizing.

Sure, but TLG isn't a pyramid scheme, so there's a big difference.  Amway
has to hit a slump, because there's only so many people willing to sign on
as salespeople.  TLG is a toy producer, and as long as it can produce
high-quality, creative toys, there isn't a real reason they should slump (of
course, quality and creativity are down, as are sales...hmmm...).  TLG's
product is also vastly superior to other brands of building toys (at least
in popularity), while most of Amway's products can be easily substituted by
anything from the local store.

MegaBlox picking up the canned from TLG depends on whether TLG has
gotten contracts from workers, preventing them from working for
competitors for some period of time.

MB could use those people, if they are the creative ones.  For some reason,
it wouldn't surprise me if TLG gets rid of some of the old-school,
high-quality people.  But I can also see their contracts keeping them from
working elsewhere.

Jesse

Jesse The Jolly Jingoist
Looking for answers?