 General / 2209
Re: TLG press release - not a crisis?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:07:41 GMT

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999 23:56:28 GMT, "Tom McDonald"
<radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:

Eric Brok writes:
http://www.lego.com/info/pressspecific.asp?PressReleaseId=50&Year=1999

What caught my attention was:

<quote>
Help with their future careers and help, if they so wish, to establish
themselves a business.
</quote>

I've got a little bit of authority to speak to this.  My employer, Amway
Corporation, has (from the organizational side of things) some
similarities to TLG[1].  They are family-owned, multi-national
companies.  They have both been in a slump lately.  Amway has already
been through a period of downsizing.

Anyway, I'm assuming the counseling and help with future careers is what
is known as "outplacement".  They provide people to talk to the workers
who have been canned, to try to figure out where they can go, what they
need to do to get another job (or start a business), maybe even provide
contact to companies who are hiring for positions that the worker may be
qualified.  I doubt it has anything to do with forming cottage
businesses with ties to TLG.

That might prove interesting. Could we see TLG's competition picking up
strength after some folks are asked to leave, that is if the folks they let go
are not dead weight? Does MegaBlox read this site? Would there be any after-
market products that arise out of this?

MegaBlox picking up the canned from TLG depends on whether TLG has
gotten contracts from workers, preventing them from working for
competitors for some period of time.

As for the people being let go being dead-weight, the future of any
particular employees job may have as much to do with the department &
function they are in, as it does with their possible max value to TLG.

And I think Larry P has a point: CA might be near its end. It takes some money
putting warm bodies on the phone like that, not to mention putting a minifig
in a mailer, slapping on postage and shipping it.

I hope not!  But you never know...

Steve

[1] Of course, there are many more differences, but they don't have
anything to do with this topic.