 General / 18145
Re: Lego and Speilberg? (and Pinnacle - OH NO!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 10:55:37 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In looking through the press material on the LEGO.COM site I noticed that not
only has TLG partnered with Speilberg for this venture but that the editing
software is being provided by Pinnacle Systems.  The "hardware" part of this
will be a USB plug-in device to which a video camera would be hooked up to get
your work into the pc environment for editing.

Let me just say "BEWARE!"

I have a Pinnacle product (PCTV Studio USB) and it is awful.  I would suggest
that anyone who thinks they really want this product for the software (and not
just the cool new pieces) spend some time checking out the Pinnacle message
boards that can be found at:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/support/products/info/default.asp?ProductID=394

(This link should take you to the PCTV Studio page where you'll see a link for
the discussion forums)

While there are (I have to presume) some folks who have made Pinnacle's low-
end software work for them, on the discussion forum you'll find hundreds of
folks complaining that it doesn't for them.  Many posters would appear to be
technically proficient and the prevailing belief seems to be that Pinnacle
produces shoddy software (at least at this level) which they don't bother to
do much testing on.  Those stuck with the current product have been waiting
for months for updated drivers to be posted to the company's website.

On the other hand, even though the software still crashes my 'puter if I try
to use it to actually capture video, the editing features are really cool and
easy to use.  I just have to use a separate application to record my videos
into digital format before doing the editing.

My other thought on this package from LEGO is to wonder if it's like the
current Pinnacle editing software which is only able to render finished
product into a digital format (.avi, .mpg or RealVideo) and not output it back
to videotape.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my 3 cents worth on the topic since I actually
have some experience to share on this subject.

You can check out the LEGO stop-motion animation videos I've edited and
rendered to RealVideo format using Pinnacle software at:

http://members.xoom.com/animatedbrik