 General / 16775
16774  |  16776
Subject:
Interview with Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 15:52:01 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

The following is taken from a Danish newspaper that had an interview
with Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen last week.

After the summer vacation all products will be sold in the internet.
Lego has received close to 10000 e-mails asking for this - a week!
"This is an opportunity that we have dreamt about for several years.
The shops doesn't have room for the wide range of products and supple-
mentary packs we used to have. We will get that now. Our products is
extremely well suited for it. The shops have become a bottleneck, where
all products must sell well." Lego wants to get closer to the customer.
Expect to see more Lego products in supermarkets, kiosks, electronic
shops and so on. "People don't come to the toyshops that often."

After laying off 1000 last year, it is again fun to working for Lego.
This year all employees will receive:
- a bottle of Bourgogne Crémant,
- a bonus check in April, and
- an invitation to a party (with companion) to be held 7 places around
  the World on June 17th.

In 1999 the turnover has grown by 25%. Especially Mindstorms, Star Wars
Episode 1 and Legoland California has contributed to that. The profit
was $67 million after having spent $80 million in connection with the
fitness plan.

Good markets has been USA, UK, Japan and other parts of Asia. The sale
in continental Europe has stagnated. This is mainly because of a drop in
Germany, where all toys sell less.

The goal is still to be the best known brand in families with kids
(before Disney and Coca Cola) by 2005. The turnover has to be $2.5
billion with a profit between $360 and $400 million. This is needed
to invest in future technologies.

The means will be:
- big events like the European Championship in football (soccer)
- e-commerce
- more electronic bricks for all ages. This will be the fourth
  generation bricks. As an example of this a brick for ages 4 years
  up that can be programmed to make sounds will be introduced later
  this year.

Christian
clr@dmi.dk