 General / 13258
Re: How many sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 05:54:08 GMT

Tony Kilaras wrote:

It's a shame Conan doesn't participate here. I'm dying to know how he
acquired so many pieces. He must be as rich as Bill Gates! :)

Conan is an electrician. I don't think he's 30 yet but he is very good
at his craft and on most jobs, he leads a crew. He's in the IBEW union,
and (except for the long hair part) you wouldn't think to look twice at
him, but talking to him you realise how profound some of his ideas are.
He and his wife J together make a decent living, nothing fancy, mind you
but very respectable.

He is devoted to the brick and has been for 20 years or more, since he
was a very small boy and his uncle Chuck and he made some truly amazing
and massive creations (I have seen a photo of a very young Conan
standing next to an 8 foot high Saturn V model).

Part of the way he got a lot of pieces is the same way available to all
of us, shrewd shopping. Another, albeit minor, part, is that he worked
for the LIC and got employee discount for a while. But that's not as
good as you might think, it's a discount off full retail and it has a
dollar amount limit that is paltry, really, to an AFOL (think under 1K a
year). All of Conan's discount purchases over the years might be enough
for the bricks for ONE module, if that.

A small part of the way the club gets pieces is that other GMLTC members
pony them up. Many members contribute their discounted pieces (remember,
many GLMTCers work, or worked, at the LIC) to the group pile.

Conan has a Mac and I think he might lurk here once in a while.

I think he's one of the neatest people I know. You'd never ever meet a
more laid back, friendly and helpful guy. I must drive him absolutely
crazy (I can be a bit much to take in large doses, so I am told) when I
am over there, but he's never said a word in anger to me or anyone else
as far as I can recall.

Now, I may have told you more than is really fair to Conan's privacy so
let's keep it between just you(1) and me, shall we? :-)

1 - the entire LUGNET readership being "you" in this case.